Thursday, July 31, 2008

Is "The Dark Knight" as good as I think it is?

It's been a very long time since I've walked into a movie theater and come out thinking I'd seen a truly great movie. The truth is, I just don't go to very many movies in theaters anymore. The ticket prices are ridiculous, the concession prices are outrageous and one of the great rip-offs that American consumers allow of themselves. We actually pay the same price for a cup of soda that you pay to buy a twelve pack in Walmart. And what do I get for all that? Inconsiderate people who talk during the movie or fail to turn their cell phones off. Some kid who invariably sits behind me and kicks the back of my seat for the whole film. Coming attractions for eight movies that I have no interest in seeing, not to mention the commercials. Sheesh, I'd rather stay home and wait for the release of the DVD.

I suppose the last truly great movie I saw in a theater was "Lord of the Rings--The Return of the King", but really, that was only part three of one nine hour-long extravaganza that I had to wait several years to see in full. I don't think that film won the Academy Award for its own self, but really for the entire trilogy.

No, the last truly great movie I saw in a theater that wasn't part of a trilogy had to have been "American Beauty", which I believe is one of the best, if not the best, satire of American manners and morality that has ever been made. And, of course, I saw that movie way back in the year 2K. It's been a long time.

Now, I was looking forward to seeing "The Dark Knight", the sequel to "Batman Begins." I thought "Batman Begins" was excellent, and had totally re-invigorated the Batman franchise. Christopher Nolan, its director, had made one of the true classics of the last ten years, "Memento", which I have seen several times on DVD. Christian Bale was excellent in the roles of Batman/Bruce Wayne. And, of course, like everyone else, I had read a great deal about Heath Ledger, and his performance as The Joker.

I expected a good movie, perhaps even an excellent movie. I wasn't expecting a great movie, but that's what I got. The story is fascinating (I have no intention of telling it here, go see it for yourself), the cinematography, art design, and set design are all wonderful, creating a Gotham City that for once looks like a very real place. There is action, excitement, tension, mystery, and humor. The acting is superb, starting with Bale and ending with Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman, both excellent in small roles. Aaron Eckhardt is remarkably complex and fascinating as Harvey Dent, avoiding becoming a stereotype. Gary Oldman, one of the best actors in films today, was superb as Lieutenant-soon-to-become-Commissioner Gordon. Again, Oldman played a complex, interesting character, and not at all a stereotype.

Despite all that, this is Heath Ledger's film, pure and simple. I've never been all that impressed with Heath Ledger, including what was widely perceived as his break-out role in "Brokeback Mountain." And, considering the tragic circumstances of his recent death, it would be easy for his performance to be the subject of hype. But Ledger is simply amazing, one of the best performances ever in an American film, and the best performance of a villain since the very first time Anthony Hopkins played Hannibal Lector in "Silence of the Lambs." Ledger's Joker is not a cartoon clown, like Cesar Romero in the old Batman TV show (which I watched religiously as a kid), or a ludicrous freak, like Jack Nicholson in the Tim Burton film. This Joker is real, and complex, and totally evil. Every line, every mannerism, every tick by Ledger is absolutely perfect and just right. He completely nails the part, and he totally dominates the screen. You can't take your eyes off him. He is simply incredible, and he deserves every posthumous award he is sure to get.

I don't think I'm being a fanboy by saying "The Dark Knight" is the best comic book movie ever made. It is truly that great, and Heath Ledger's outstanding performance is one for the ages. But don't take my word for it, see it yourself. And see it in a theater, because for once, the outrageous cost more than makes up for itself with the dynamic sound and the big screen. The two and a half hours seemed to fly by, and I didn't even notice the little creep behind me kicking the back of my seat during the movie. I may even see it again---before it gets released on DVD. And that's truly saying something.

No comments: