Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I Need Some Jack

No, I'm not talking about money, although I could certainly use a whole bunch of that. Times are tough, the problems my wife and I are facing these days seem to be a microcosm of the tough times we are facing as a nation. I've been pretty down lately, the only relief coming when I play poker. It seems there's been a big, gaping hole in my life, and I just couldn't put my finger on it. And then it struck me. I need some Jack!! Big-time!! That is, I need my weekly fix of Jack Bauer.

If you don't know who I'm talking about, then read no more. This post is not for you, you won't get it, and you'll undoubtedly think I'm some kind of freak or loser. But if you know who Jack Bauer is, and if the mere mention of his name brought you any sort of anxiety or excitement or anticipation, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. I miss "24", I miss it badly. In fact, I've been "jonesing" for a new season of my favorite tv show ever since the last season ended.

Before I write anything more, understand that I'm no idiot. I'm a highly intelligent graduate of a major law school and have practiced law continuously for the last 22 years. I have a pretty high IQ, although I've done some pretty dumb things in the last few years. I know the difference between reality and fantasy, and I realize that "24" is no more real than the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. And to that I say, who cares. I love "24", and its disappearance the last year and a half has created a major void in my life.

For those who don't know, "24" was one of the victims of the recent writer's strike in Hollywood. It takes some pretty impressive writing to continue to come up with fascinating scenarios of Jack Bauer saving the nation from the latest terrorist plot to destroy/take over/poison/defoliate our country. And so, with the writers on strike, the new season of "24" which was scheduled to begin this past January was postponed to January, 2009. And that has left lunatic fans of Jack Bauer's (like yours truly) to find other ways to decompensate after we get home from our mundane jobs, like communicating with family, reading books, playing with the dogs, or working on projects around the house. Yuckkkk!!!!

I need to know what happened to Jack after the final fade-out from the previous season. I need to know what happened to Audrey, and why her dickhead father (who owes his life to Jack) is so dead set against them being together. I need to be amused by Chloe's latest antics. And I need to know what happened to President Palmer, not the great, recently assassinated President David Palmer, but his much less impressive brother, who also suffered an attempted assassination, Wayne Palmer. Yes, "24" gave us not one, but two black Presidents, brothers no less. The first was assassinated after he left office, and the second suffered a bomb explosion that left him near death at the end of the last season. Barack Obama better watch out.

I know that "24" can be silly, that it can be accused of exploiting stereotypes, that there is simply no way one guy can do so much, all in one day (which apparently never include meals or trips to the bathroom---where in the world does he get his stamina?). I know all that intellectually. Still, I find the show fascinating, exciting, breath-taking, suspenseful, amusing and endlessly entertaining. Isn't that what TV is all about?

Come back, Jack, I need you bad.

No comments: