Wednesday, November 5, 2008

OK, so I was wrong....

....And I've never been so happy to be wrong in my life. It truly feels like a new day has dawned today. I'll bet it was like this in 1960, when Kennedy was elected.

Like many Americans, I never thought I would live to see the day that a black man would be elected President. I remember the race riots of the mid-60's, the Black Panthers, Malcolm X, and of course, Martin Luther King and his horrifying murder. Racism is still alive and kicking in my state of Arizona, and I had no reason to believe it's not still alive all across the country. But maybe, just maybe, that's changing.

McCain's concession speech last night was very gracious, and it seemed to underscore the fact that that particular McCain had been absent for much of the campaign. Perhaps the pressure of the campaign was too much for him and so he hid the true McCain behind the McCain that came forth and was rejected by the nation. And to my friend, A Red Mind in a Blue State, I will never underestimate Sarah Palin. To do that would be stupid, and I firmly believe she will be President someday, and I fear that day. As someone who does not fit her definition of a "real American", she scares the crap out of me. But that is something to worry about some other day.

Obama's speech, as always, was brilliant and powerfully given. The man is clearly a class act and I look forward optomistically to his presidency. But the thing I will always remember most from last night was the reaction from African-Americans, from the faculty members at Howard University who were so overwhelmed with emotion that they couldn't speak, to Jesse Jackson, who stood in the crowd in Grant Park in Chicago, with tears running down his face. No one can deny that last night was one of this nation's most historic moments.

Congratulations to President-elect Obama, I certainly don't envy you, the job you face is enormous and daunting. And congratulations to our great nation, for electing the best candidate, despite his race.

4 comments:

A Red Mind in a Blue State said...

Good post. Congrats--and you don't have to go back to 1960-- this is how I felt in 1980, when another indisputably great leader followed another indisputably poor President.

Americans love new beginnings!

B said...

I thought we weren't ready either.

But then we got a hit of Sarah Palin.

Then we learned that people would wait on line for hours and hours to vote.

The financial crisis didn't hurt either.

Rarely have I been happier to be wrong.

Laughing Luke in NY said...

Sarah Palin as President of the United States of America? Thanks, but no thanks!

As far as the analogy of 1960 vs. 1980? 1960 works for me.

The year we elected "Bedtime for Bonzo" co-star, President "Don't worry, be happy" ain't in the same ballpark - thank you very much.

President Barack Hussein Obama - who'd a thunk it? This is truly an historic moment for our country - and I am proud, once again, to be an American.

Yes we can!
Yes we did!
Now, we got some heavy lifting to do to clean up this mess. A mess that has its roots in 1980.

Max said...

Laughing Luke in New York? Love that handle. It's been a long time since I've heard that distinctive, hearty laughter. Looking forward to it, good buddy.