Sunday, March 23, 2008

RIP '07-'08 Arizona Wildcats

So maybe I, as well as thousands of incensed ASU fans, were right after all. After yet another uninspiring performance from this year's version of the Arizona Wildcats, and another first-round exit from the NCAA Tournament, this year's forgettable season has come to a merciful end. Once again, the team played without any passion, once again Jawaan McClellan completely disappeared, once again interim (and hopefully never-again-to-be) coach Kevin O'Neil ignored his bench as if those guys weren't even there, and once again the Wildcats faded down the stretch and lost, this time to West Virginia. It's funny, but never once during the entire game, not when the score was tied or those occasions when Arizona actually had the lead, did I ever believe that the Wildcats could win. And, of course, they proved me correct. It's pretty sad how this once imposing program has fallen to the scrapheap. A seventh-place regular season conference finish, another first round exit, a controversial selection to the tournament, and probably the worst coaching job we've seen since Lute Olson came to town, not to mention the disaster of Olson's "leave of absence". Thank God it's over.

The tournament itself has been outstanding, as usual. Of course, my bracket is a mess. My final four selections are all still there, but I had both Duke and Clemson making it to the Round of Eight. D'oh!! I did pick one of the upsets correctly (Western Kentucky) and I even have them winning today. But, I think I'm pretty much done. Oh well, it's always fun even though I never win.

And speaking of never winning, perhaps my friend, Red Mind in a Blue State, and I were a little too quick to write off the Phoenix Suns' acquisition of Shaquille O'Neal? Since the ignominious 3-6 start to the Shaq era, the Suns have now reeled off seven straight wins. Last night, they beat the Houston Rockets (they of the recent 22 game winning streak) and they are now the number three seed in the West. Shaq has been a consistent force in the middle, grabbing 13 rebounds in last night's game, although he will never again be the offensive force he was in his prime. That's all right, since the Suns get plenty of offense from Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire and the rest of the team. If the Suns continue to play the way they're playing..... I guess I'll just leave that thought alone for now.

No comments: